05 October 2008

My Top 5: Savannah, Georgia


I have decided to highlight my top 5 places, since no road trip is on the calendar for the next week or so. However, keep watching for upcoming stories on the Tipton-Haynes Historical Site's Stories from the Pumpkin Patch on October 18th, and Historic Rugby's Ghostly Gathering on the 24th.

However, I will launch my top 5 series with a visit to Savannah, GA. Savannah is one of the most beautiful places that I have been. It is literally like stepping back into the Old South with the preserved architecture, Spanish moss, and Southern hospitality and charm. Here are some highlights of the beautiful city.


Forsyth Park


*The Davenport House
The Inn at Forsyth Park


*The Davenport House has a story to go alongside it. Once, when my mother and I were touring the Davenport House, I dropped my ticket. When I reached down to pick it up, I cracked my head on an oak desk. Hard. It literally echoed throughout the house. About twenty people were waiting on the tour to start, and at least two of them said "Oh!" in reaction to the loud thud. I was so embarrassed that I ran out of the house into the garden, and my mom had to fetch me. Yes, I was over twenty. I just felt the need to share that story. It has amused many people.

Tune in next time for my #4 destination.

2 comments:

The Unit said...

I was in training in Savannah once in October - it was quite eerie because all the touring we did had to be after class, in the dark. We ended up seeing a performance of ghost stories in Flannery O'Conners house after house...

Unknown said...

I do love Savannah!